Sunday, April 10, 2011

Visit to the AICC – ICTR
A couple weeks ago  I visited the AICC (Arusha International Conference Centre) which is where the international Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) is located. This is something I’ve wanted to check out since I’ve been here, which I am glad I did, but I must admit it wasn’t the most exciting scene of events.
The ICTR was set up by the UN in 1994 following the horrific hundred day genocide which claimed the lives of over 800,000 people. The tribunal delivered the world’s first condemnation for genocide in September 1998, when former Rwandan Prime Minister Jean Kambanda was found guilty, but has been dogged by controversy for much of his life. Fifteen years after the genocide the court has so far convicted just 34 people and acquitted six. Twenty three remain on trial and eight trials have yet to begin. However, the successful conviction in 2008 of the so called “mastermind” of the genocide, a colonel in the Rwandan army, together with two of his cohorts, was seen as a sign that the tribunal is producing results.
Meeting with Mamas
I have met with the Mamas and provided them with the same probiotics education as the Mwanza Mamas. The information sheets are now posted in the kitchen for the Mamas and customers to refer to if needed!
Last Thursday was an extremely productive day! We found out that the probiotics have been successfully cultured and are ready at the hospital. The only struggle is getting the two doctors to agree to provide this service free of charge as a way to benefit the health of the community and women's empowerment. On Friday we brought two of the Mamas to the hospital to introduce them to the doctors, probiotic procedures and to exchange phone numbers.  It will now be their responsibility to ensure they pick up the probiotics on a continuous basis.
I will also be following up with the Archdiocese of Arusha to see if they will be willing to support this program to empower women while bringing health to the community.

We also had a brief meeting with the Mamas where I expressed my interest in having a “mini launch” event for their delicious yoghurt. I truly believe creating a greater community awareness regarding both the availability and health benefits of the yoghurt could substantially benefit their sales! So we are planning the event for next Thursday (April 14th) which is also a market day so it should be very busy in Ngaramtoni. The Mamas are going to speak to the village chairperson as well as the health officer to see if they are willing to say a few words which would enhance the reputability and attract more attention to the event. I’m really looking forward to this event and am happy that the community will learn about this great product being produced right here in their village!
Probiotics information sheets
Me drinking delicious yoghurt with Mama Anna
Mama Stella heating milk for Yoghurt!
Home of Hope
The Home of Hope nursery school that I have been volunteering at is closed now until after Easter. However, the older students who attend in the afternoon still have classes so I have been teaching English in my spare time. These students are working to complete their secondary school education (most are over 20 years old, but are very keen on learning and I really admire them). 

Weekend in Dar es Salaam
Last weekend Chris and I took a trip to Dar es Salaam. It was really nice to get away for a few days and see another city in Tanzania. It actually reminded me a little bit of Toronto, Ontario mainly in terms of the excessive traffic, I even spotted a small subway which is the first fast food restaurant I’ve seen since being in Africa!
 Dar is Tanzania’s largest city and its economic capital, but it is not the official capital city which is actually Dodoma and the seat of government in the country. Dodoma is much smaller and less developed than Dar, but it remains a centre for national politics. Dar lost its official status as capital city to Dodoma in 1974, it remains the centre of the permanent central government bureaucracy and continues to serve as the capital for the surrounding Dar es Salaam Region.
                Dar is located in a quiet bay off the Indian Ocean coast, and the city has grown in economic importance to become a prosperous centre in the East African region. Its bustling harbour is the main port in Tanzania and its industrial area produces products for export and use throughout the country. Government offices all have their main base in Dar es Salaam, and diplomatic missions and nongovernmental organizations in the country all have a presence in the bustling urban centre. With a population rate increase of 4.39% annually the city has become the 3rd fastest growing in Africa (9th fastest in the world) after Bamako and Lagos, respectively. The metro population is expected to reach 5.12 million by 2020.
                We were extremely fortunate to travel there with a friend we met from Arusha who has family in Dar. They were great hosts and took us to the beaches and showed us all around the city. The weather was extremely HOT! I definitely felt like I was in the African sun. I was literally sweating by 8:00am, which really says a lot, but I love the heat so I’m not complaining and it was nice because Arusha is generally quite cool (well for Africa that is).
View of Dar from a boat
Lunch stop on the way to Dar!

Me by the beach in Dar

Interesting Facts
-          The other day I was sitting in the New Sahara Café talking to a very nice man who was helping me with my Swahili. When I told him I was 22, he was so shocked that I don’t have any children!
-          There are a lot of Maasai people in Ngaramtoni and I am learning a lot about their culture! One thing that is quite disturbing is that polygamy is completely acceptable and some men will have up to 20 wives! HIV/AIDS is a big problem here, especially within this tribe
-          I’m starting to get used to people always being late, but sometimes I wonder. For example, even teachers arrive up to half an hour late for a lesson. However, if you observe how people drive around here it’s like they are always in a rush to get somewhere. They speed, pass in oncoming traffic, honk their horns, etc. But why? It’s not like they care if they are late?
-          A couple weeks ago Chris and I went into a really expensive jewelry store in Arusha Town. My Grandpa told me before I left that I should try and see home “real” tanzanite while I’m here. Well, after two months I finally found some! Apparently, Arusha is the best place to buy Tanzanite, a brilliant blue gemstone found in the hills surrounding Arusha and Moshi. The gemstone is used by the Maasai to celebrate birth and gained international prominence after a Tanzanite was featured in the movie Titanic as the centre jewel to the Heart of the Ocean necklace.



No comments:

Post a Comment